What is Littering is Wrong Too?
A new litter prevention campaign launched by Keep America Beautiful, a national nonprofit that works to promote litter prevention, waste reduction, recycling and beautification. iLivehere is a local affiliate of Keep America Beautiful and launched the national Littering is Wrong too campaign locally in the Quad Cities in March 2012.
Why launch the Littering is Wrong, Too campaign?
The first goal is to get people talking about litter and perceive it is a problem. This campaign takes a unique and light-hearted approach to get attention and be remembered. By comparing littering to other wrong (and often ridiculous) behaviors like breaking up with someone on Valentine’s Day or kicking your grandmother, the campaign communicates just how wrong it is to litter. Ultimately, we hope to induce a long-term change in behavior which will lead to a cleaner, more beautiful community.
What’s so bad about litter?
- The presence of litter in a community takes a toll on quality of life, property values and commerce.
- Litter invites more litter. Once litter has accumulated along a road or in a community, people are more likely to keep littering.
- Litter dropped on land often finds its way into waterways, like Duck Creek or the Mississippi River.
- Litter is not only morally wrong, it’s illegal.
How can I get involved in the campaign?
Talk about litter! Write your “wrong” at litteringiswrongtoo.org and vote for the “wrongest wrong.”
What else can I do?
- Don’t litter. Set a good example for your friends, kids and neighbors. Even an apple core is considered litter.
- Never throw trash out of your car window. Also, be aware when driving with your windows open. Loose items like paper or candy wrappers can fly out easily.
- Place a bag in your car to collect personal trash (or recyclables) instead of tossing them.
- At home, secure the lids on your trash and recycling containers, especially when you set them out on collection day.
- When recycling at the curb, secure/bundle loose papers so they won’t get blown away.
- Secure loads and remove trash from the back of your pickup truck. Even larger items can fly out when you are traveling at high speeds.
- If you smoke, never throw your cigarette butts on the ground. Cigarette butts are the most littered item in America and around the world. If you’re not near an ash tray or receptacle, use a pocket ash tray. We provide them free of charge. See our Cigarette Butts page for more information.
- Get involved in a community clean up. iLivehere provides cleanup supplies.
- If you see litter, pick it up. Even if it’s one chip bag or gum wrapper – that’s one less piece of litter out there.
- Clean up after your dog. Yes, that’s litter too!